This is a nice and healthy dish that I am sure you will enjoy. The combination of spinach and chickpeas gives you a meal that’s low GI and low fat. They also contain significant amounts of minerals and vitamins that are good for you – calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamins E and B6 to mention a few. Plus they are cheap and easy to cook. Do you need any more reasons to try out this recipe?
This dish goes nicely with muufo bread, pita or sabayaad bread.
- 200g chickpeas (soaked overnight and boiled. Canned chickpeas are great too)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chopped spinach (or frozen spinach)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 green chillies diced finely
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander or chives
- Fry the onions in hot oil, until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and chillies and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with the chopped coriander or chives.
Author : Abderazzaq Noor
Recipe by : Mariam