This salad is a complete meal in itself. It has protein galore in the shape of tofu and beans, iron-rich spinach and the sweet potato provides you with good carbs. Spices and herbs such as paprika, garlic, ginger, cumin, chilli and mint add a wonderful punch of flavour. This easy to make healthy salad can be on your table in 20 minutes. So get cooking!
- 400g boiled red kidney beans (or canned beans)
- 2 small orange sweet potatoes
- 375g firm tofu
- A handful of mixed nuts
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups (120g) baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 3 tomatoes, diced into small cubes
- 3 fresh green or red chillies, diced
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds, lightly roasted
- Pinch or two of salt
- Dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Coat with a little oil and roast in a medium heat oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Keep aside when cooked.
- Cube the tofu in to small squares. Coat with a little oil and grill for about 10 minutes or until it turns a light brown. Keep aside when cooked.
- Wash the baby spinach and mint and dry.
- Grate the lemon for the zest and juice the lemon.
- Dice the tomatoes and chillies.
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients with the sesame seeds and spices.
Author : Abderazzaq Noor
Recipe by : Abderazzaq Noor