Brown rice has never really been part of my diet, but after trying this delicious dish I knew it was going to be a regular part of my culinary repertoire. Its nutty goodness is a bonus too.
“I recently went vegan which suits me as I enjoy cooking with whatever is in my kitchen cabinet,” says Nadia Faragaab who supplied this great recipe. I hope you enjoy Nadia’s dish as much as I did!
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 8-10 pods cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (olive or any other vegetable oil is fine)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 150g cubed sweet potato (you can use pumpkin or carrot or combine all these vegetables)
- 20g sultanas or raisins (optional)
- 20g fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Boil three cups of water and keep aside (ratio of 1.5 cups of water to one cup rice)
- Saute the onion over medium heat in oil until it turns translucent
- Add rice and spices and mix well. Make sure the spices don’t burn!
- Add in four cups of water and salt. Cover and cook for about five minutes.
- Add in the vegetables, reduce heat to low and cover again. Cook for about 15 minutes and keep checking to see if you need to add more water.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. This should result in a slightly chewy rice texture, which is just the way I like it.
Author : Abderazzaq Noor
Recipe by : Nadia Faragaab