You show me one person who doesn’t love a good risotto and I will…okay I won’t do anything other than promise you that this version will convert them!
In this recipe I have used frozen mixed vegetables with some fresh mushrooms, but you can use any kind of vegetable in your fridge.
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- A handful of diced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 30g butter
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp lemon or lime zest
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Heat butter in pan over medium heat and add onion. Cook for about three minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add frozen vegetables and mushrooms and cook for about four minutes.
- Add rice and stir for several minutes until the rice is transparent.
- Slowly add in one cup of stock and keep stirring the rice for about five minutes.
- Add one more cup of stock as you stir and cook for another five minutes. Add the remaining two cups of stock and cook in a similar way. Make sure the pot isn’t dry. Add a bit of water if necessary.
- The risotto should be ready now after about 20 minutes of cooking. Taste the rice and if it is tender outside but still has a little resistance inside then you know the risotto is cooked nicely and al dente.
- Stir in the salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle some more parmesan cheese.
Author : Abderazzaq Noor
Recipe by : Abderazzaq Noor